Provide a summary of your learning style according the VARK questionnaire. Describe your preferred learning strategies. Compare your current preferred learning strategies
Learning styles represent the different approaches to learning based on preferences, weaknesses, and strengths. For learners to best achieve the desired educational outcome, learning styles must be considered when creating a plan. Complete \”The VARK Questionnaire,\” located on the VARK website, and then complete the following:
- Click \”OK\” to receive your questionnaire scores.
- Once you have determined your preferred learning style, review the corresponding link to view your learning preference.
- Review the other learning styles: visual, aural, read/write, kinesthetic, and multimodal (listed on the VARK Questionnaire Results page).
- Compare your current preferred learning strategies to the identified strategies for your preferred learning style.
- Examine how awareness of learning styles has influenced your perceptions of teaching and learning.
In a paper (750-1,000 words), summarize your analysis of this exercise and discuss the overall value of learning styles. Include the following:
- Provide a summary of your learning style according the VARK questionnaire.
- Describe your preferred learning strategies. Compare your current preferred learning strategies to the identified strategies for your preferred learning style.
- Describe how individual learning styles affect the degree to which a learner can understand or perform educational activities. Discuss the importance of an educator identifying individual learning styles and preferences when working with learners.
- Discuss why understanding the learning styles of individuals participating in health promotion is important to achieving the desired outcome. How do learning styles ultimately affect the possibility for a behavioral change? How would different learning styles be accommodated in health promotion?
Cite to at least three peer-reviewed or scholarly sources to complete this assignment. Sources should be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
EXPERT ANSWER EXPLANATION
Family-Centered Health Promotion
Understanding the learning style is an important aspect for both the learner and the instructor. It allows both to understand which strategy works best in acquiring or imparting knowledge and retaining it for long term recollection. VARK questionnaire and analysis tool is an elaborative tool that assists learners to understand their learning preference and come up with strategies that are useful in acquisition and retention of knowledge (Zhu et al., 2018).
A summary of my style of learning according to the VARK questionnaire
From the VARK questionnaire, I was able to realize different aspects relating to my style of learning; some of which I was not even consciously aware of until I completed the questionnaire. I was able to realize that after completing a test, my preferred form of feedback is through a written description of my results.
When using the internet as a learning tool, I also realized that I prefer to watch videos clearly showing how things are done and preferably accompanied by a well-defined description of how to go about solving problems. Likewise, I was able to establish that I like engaging with others through discussions while engaging with experts being a great way to understand new experiences.
The questionnaire also revealed that I am a learner who liked using practical examples and demonstrations when being taught. This ultimately led to my learning experience being enriched through listening, discussing things through, and engaging using practical experiences.
My preferred learning strategies
From the data collected using the VARK questionnaire I was able to determine that my preferred style of learning is multimodal with very strong aural and kinesthetic According to Ibrahim and Hussein, (2016), multimodal learners are receptive to different learning strategies. Such learns may opt for different learning strategies to fully grasp the concept being taught.
Given that I have a strong aural and kinesthetic inclination towards learning. The questionnaire indicated that I prefer to engage in practical exercises, trial, and error, experiments, listening, discussing and questioning to list a few. Personally, I like engaging in constructive discussions, I find it an interesting way to expand my perspective by understanding the different points of view held by those we are discussing with, I also find the thrill in practical application of acquired knowledge; testing something and proving that it works hence the inclination towards a trial and error approach. I hardly take notes, maybe because I find them less descriptive, however, finding a well structured and detailed piece makes it easier to read and understand.
According to the VARK tool, my identified learning strategies include to engage in group discussions more often and to comment on ideas as soon as I get an opportunity. By doing so I will be able to learn the perspective held by people with regards to the idea I have proposed. Another proposed strategy is to be more attentive in listening to others and to engage more in self-conversation. This is to specifically augment my ability to learn through my strong aural preference.
For my kinesthetic preference, the preferred strategies include, using my senses, watching videos, and taking a hands-on approach to issues (Zhu et al., 2018). The assessment also recommends I engage more to look for opportunities to apply what I have learned. From this perspective, I can say that most of the suggested strategies are the same as what I am currently using while learning. However, I need to improve my ability as a good listener and listen to more podcasts and audio recorders to enhance my learning experience.
Effect of individual learning style on the ability to learn
According to Carulla and Hipona (2018), an individual’s ability to grasp key concepts and obtain new knowledge depends on how that knowledge is delivered. By understanding the ones learning preference, it becomes easier to understand what you are being taught and be able to retain that knowledge for future recollection.
Understanding the learning style also affects the attention span held by the student (Anderson, 2016). When learners are taught in their preferred learning styles, it is observed that their ability to remain attentive during the entire learning period remains high. For educators, it becomes easier to impart knowledge to learners by understanding their styles and preference of learning.
Given that different people have different preferences, the educator can be able to customize their teaching to match individual learner preference leading to enhanced knowledge acquisition. It also allows the educator to customize their teaching styles to facilitate more participation from the learners and as a result, it may change the overall perception of the learner towards a given subject.
Importance of understanding learning styles in health promotion
Understanding different learning styles allows a health provider to adjusts their health promotion communication strategies to fit with those of their target audience. This is an important element in ensuring that the health promotion messages are received and understood properly by their target audience.
Likewise, packaging the health promotion messages in a manner preferred by the individual, they are likely to have a positive outlook on the message and as a result leading to positive behavioral changes (Carulla & Hipona, 2018). Learning styles in health promotion can be captured through the different communication aids used by healthcare providers to deliver their message.
Some may opt for visual aids, while some may choose seminars and public forums. Ideally, health promotion initiatives should employ different learning strategies to maximize the results. Therefore, understanding the learning styles of individuals plays an essential role in determining the effectiveness of the health promotion initiative.
Anderson, I. (2016). Identifying different learning styles to enhance the learning experience. Nursing Standard, 31(7).
Carulla, J. C., & Hipona, J. B. (2018). Attitudes towards learning and learning styles of nursing students in selected nursing schools: Basis for instructional strategic plan. Nursing & Primary Care, 2, 5, 1-9.
Ibrahim, R. H., & Hussein, D. A. (2016). Assessment of visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning styles among undergraduate nursing students. Int J Adv Nurs Stud, 5, 1-4.
Zhu, H. R., Zeng, H., Zhang, H., Zhang, H. Y., Wan, F. J., Guo, H. H., & Zhang, C. H. (2018). The preferred learning styles utilizing VARK among nursing students with bachelor degrees and associate degrees in China. Acta Paulista de Enfermagem, 31(2), 162-169.
[ANSWERED 2023] Planning is the key to successful completion of this course and program-related objectives. The Individual Success Plan (ISP) assignment requires early collaboration with the course faculty and your course preceptor. Students must establish a plan for successful completion of
VARK learning styles
VARK is a model of learning styles developed by Neil Fleming, which categorizes learners into four different styles: visual, auditory, reading/writing, and kinesthetic. Here is a brief overview of each learning style:
- Visual Learners: Visual learners learn best through seeing or observing things. They prefer to learn through images, diagrams, charts, and videos. They benefit from visual aids, such as PowerPoint presentations, mind maps, and illustrations.
- Auditory Learners: Auditory learners learn best through listening or hearing things. They prefer to learn through lectures, discussions, and podcasts. They benefit from reading aloud, using text-to-speech software, and recording and listening to lectures.
- Reading/Writing Learners: Reading/writing learners learn best through reading and writing. They prefer to learn through textbooks, handouts, and note-taking. They benefit from writing and summarizing notes, creating outlines, and using flashcards.
- Kinesthetic Learners: Kinesthetic learners learn best through movement and physical activities. They prefer to learn through hands-on experiences, experiments, and simulations. They benefit from role-playing, field trips, and activities that involve manipulation of objects.
It’s important to note that most people have a combination of learning styles and can benefit from a variety of teaching methods. However, understanding one’s preferred learning style can help learners and educators create a more effective learning environment that meets their needs.