Explain how you would advocate for the incorporation of a global perspective or lens into your local practice and role as a nurse leader
The Assignment: (1- to 2-page Global Health Comparison Matrix; 1-page Plan for Social Change)
Part 1: Global Health Comparison Matrix
Focusing on the country you selected and the U.S., complete the Global Health Comparison Matrix. Be sure to address the following:
- Consider the U.S. national/federal health policies that have been adapted for the global health issue you selected from the WHO global health agenda. Compare these policies to the additional country you selected for study.
- Explain the strengths and weaknesses of each policy.
- Explain how the social determinants of health may impact the global health issue you selected. Be specific and provide examples.
- Using the WHO’s Organization’s global health agenda as well as the results of your own research, analyze how each country’s government addresses cost, quality, and access to the global health issue selected.
- Explain how the health policy you selected might impact the health of the global population. Be specific and provide examples.
- Explain how the health policy you selected might impact the role of the nurse in each country.
- Explain how global health issues impact local healthcare organizations and policies in both countries. Be specific and provide examples.
Part 2: A Plan for Social Change
Reflect on the global health policy comparison and analysis you conducted in Part 1 of the Assignment and the impact that global health issues may have on the world, the U.S., your community, as well as your practice as a nurse leader.
In a 1-page response, create a plan for social change that incorporates a global perspective or lens into your local practice and role as a nurse leader.
- Explain how you would advocate for the incorporation of a global perspective or lens into your local practice and role as a nurse leader.
- Explain how the incorporation of a global perspective or lens might impact your local practice and role as a nurse leader.
- Explain how the incorporation of a global perspective or lens into your local practice as a nurse leader represents and contributes to social change. Be specific and provide examples
Expert Answer and Explanation
Part 2: A Plan for Social Change
The global health issues affects local health organizations, and this warrants the need to advocate for the integration of the global view into the leadership role. As a nurse leader, I would first create a sense of urgency by describing to the health stakeholders how the capacity of the local health care facilities to meet the needs of populations fit into the global health. I would engage and involve various stakeholders including government representatives in defining how the local hospital would benefit from the incorporation of this new idea into the local practice. I would eventually anchor the idea into the organizational culture so that it would be easier to implement this perspective (Edmonson et al., 2017).
The idea of incorporating a global lens into my role as a leader can have a significant amount of implication on this role as well as on my practice. As a leader, for instance, this idea would require that I collaborate with other leaders across various countries, and exchange knowledge on how to effectively manage resources for the purpose of meeting the health needs of the diverse individuals. I would utilize the global health data to identify high priority areas, with focus on improving health delivery using the limited resources (Edmonson et al., 2017).
This idea also has some level of impact with respect to the representation and contribution to the social change. Viewing health care in the global perspective can provide details about the patterns of spread and prevalent of diseases. By having a global perspective of how social factors impact health care at the global level, a nurse leader can make clinical decisions such as focusing more on the delivery of care to disadvantaged and vulnerable groups (Edmonson et al., 2017).
Edmonson, C., McCarthy, C., Trent-Adams, S., McCain, C., Marshall, J., (January 31, 2017) “Emerging Global Health Issues: A Nurse’s Role” OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing Vol. 22, No. 1, Manuscript 2.