You receive a message from a peer at work that there is a big investigation being conducted at work due to a HIPAA violation
Information Systems in Healthcare
RUA: We Can, But Dare We? Guidelines
The purpose of this assignment is to investigate informatics in healthcare and to apply professional, ethical, and legal
principles to its appropriate use in healthcare technology.
Course outcomes: This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
CO 4: Investigate safeguards and decision‐making support tools embedded in patient care technologies and information
systems to support a safe practice environment for both patients and healthcare workers. (PO 4)
CO 6: Discuss the principles of data integrity, professional ethics, and legal requirements related to data security,
regulatory requirements, confidentiality, and client’s right to privacy. (PO 6)
CO 8: Discuss the value of best evidence as a driving force to institute change in the delivery of nursing care. (PO 8)
Due date: Your faculty member will inform you when this assignment is due. The Late Assignment Policy applies to
- Research, compose, and type a scholarly paper based on the scenario provided by your faculty, and choose a
conclusion scenario to discuss within the body of your paper. Reflect on lessons learned in this class about
technology, privacy concerns, and legal and ethical issues and address each of these concepts in the paper. Consider
the consequences of such a scenario. Do not limit your review of the literature to the nursing discipline only because
other health professionals are using the technology, and you may need to apply critical thinking skills to its
applications in this scenario.
- Use Microsoft Word and APA 7th edition formatting. Consult your copy of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, as well as the resources in Doc Sharing if you have questions (e.g., margin size, font type and size (point), use of third person, etc.). Take advantage of the writing service SmartThinking, which is accessed by clicking on the link called the Tutor Source, found under the Course Home area.
- The length of the paper should be four to five pages, excluding the title page and the reference page. Limit the
references to a few key sources (minimum of three required).
- The paper will contain an introduction that catches the attention of the reader, states the purpose of the paper, and
provides a narrative outline of what will follow (i.e., the assignment criteria).
- In the body of the paper, discuss the scenario in relation to HIPAA, legal, and other regulatory requirements that
apply to the scenario and the ending you chose. Demonstrate support from sources of evidence (references)
included as in‐text citations.
- Choose and identify one of the possible endings provided for the scenario, and construct your paper based on its
implications to the scenario. Make recommendations about what should have been done and what could be done to
correct or mitigate the problems caused by the scenario and the ending you chose. Demonstrate support from
sources of evidence (references) included as in‐text citations.
- Present the advantages and disadvantages of informatics relating to your scenario and describe professional and
ethical principles appropriate to your chosen ending. Use facts from supporting sources of evidence, which must be
included as in‐text citations.
- The paper’s conclusion should summarize what you learned and make reflections about them to your practice.
- Use the “Directions and Assignment Criteria” and “Grading Rubric” below to guide your writing and ensure that all
components are complete.
- Review the section on Academic Honesty found in the Chamberlain Course Policies. All work must be original (in
your own words). Papers will automatically be submitted to TurnItIn when submitted to the Dropbox.
As healthcare providers, we look more and more to technology to improve patient outcomes, streamline operations, and lower costs. Sometimes, technology can be used in ways that have ethical, moral, and legal considerations too. You will be writing about the use of personal devices and social media and their use in healthcare. We can do it, but dare we?
This is a “think outside the box” assignment in which there is not necessarily only one right answer. Still, you are required to find sources that support your opinions. Be sure to cite and reference them in your paper.
You receive a message from a peer at work that there is a big investigation being conducted at work due to a HIPAA violation and that it involved a celebrity who had been admitted to the hospital. As a case manager for the hospital you are given a company cell phone for hospital use because you are on call three days per week. You have pictures of this celebrity you took the other day. The word is that legal action is being taken against the hospital due to some photos that were sold to the Gossip Gazette. They ask to search your company cell phone.
[ANSWERED] Create your own script for building a health history and use the Health History Template for guidance (consider the type of language you would use to help your patient be more comfortable).