What is food insecurity and what role does population growth play in it?
Assignment 2 — Food Security (110 points)
The members of the United Nations appreciated the content you provided on population growth. Now they are asking you to expand the whitepaper to include global food security as it relates to population growth and poverty. Read the assessment and answer the three questions below.
The issue is not the lack of food in the world, but the access to food. Simply put, food is not getting to where it needs in time. In developing countries, the food shortage is due to governmental control over food. These governments maintain their control and preference over certain groups by limiting access of nutritious food to certain groups, thereby weaponizing food.
In this second white paper, research the impact of poverty on global food security and the technology available to potentially remedy this situation. Write a minimum of four pages assessing the impact, citing at least five credible sources in your research. Refer specifically to the role these issues have had in the developing country of your choice. In this assessment, please include:
- A cover page with your name, title of the course, date, and the name of your instructor.
- A one-half page introduction.
- A middle section that is numbered and divided into three one-page sections. Each of these sections should answer one of the following questions:
- What is food insecurity and what role does population growth play in it?
- What factors specifically interrupt the flow of food from the source to the people in the developing country you selected?
- What forms of technology can be used to reduce hunger and improve food security? Explain how these technical solutions can do that.
- A one-half page conclusion.
- This comes to a total of four pages at a minimum.
- Cite at least five credible sources excluding Wikipedia, dictionaries, and encyclopedias for your assessment.
- For a brief list of resources for this assignment, please see the end of the course guide.
This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different compared to other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details. (Note: You’ll be prompted to enter your Blackboard login credentials to view these standards.)
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Propose a plan to address the issue of global food security in underdeveloped countries that considers the impact of prior solutions.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric:
|Points: 110||Assignment 2 — Poverty and Food Security|
|Meets Minimum Expectations
Below 60% F
|Defined food insecurity and addressed its connection to population growth
|Exceeded expectations in explaining the connection between food insecurity and population growth
|Proficiently explained the connection between food insecurity and population growth||Defined food security and population growth but did not sufficiently explain the connection between the two||Defined food security and population growth but did not explain the connection between the two||Did not define or connect food security or population growth|
|Explained other issues that are responsible for food insecurity in a specific developing country
|Exceeded expectations in explaining issues that are responsible for food insecurity in a specific developing country
|Proficiently explained issues that are responsible for food insecurity in a specific developing country||Explained issues that are responsible for food insecurity but did not relate them to a specific developing country||Defined issues that are responsible for food insecurity but did not relate them to a specific developing country||Did not explain issues related to food insecurity as it relates to a specific developing country|
|Explained the forms of technology that can be used to reduce hunger and improve food security.
|Included a well thought out explanation of the use of technology
|Included a sufficient explanation about the use of technology||Insufficiently explained the use of technology||Largely missed explaining the use of technology
|Entirely neglected explaining the use of technology|
|Clarity, writing mechanics, syntax and formatting
|More than 8 errors present||7-8 errors present||5-6 errors present||3-4 errors present||0-2 errors present|
|Cited at least five credible references
Majority are primary sources
|Exceeds minimum reference requirement||Meets minimum reference requirement||Properly references citations used in the assessment but doesn’t reference at least five citations||Does not properly reference citations used in assessment||Does not reference any citations in the assessment|