Scientists perform an experiment in which they create an artificial cell with a selectively permeable membrane through which only water can pass
- In previous units, you learned that a word ending in the suffix -ase is often an enzyme. Some snake venom contains the enzyme phospholipase. This enzyme is dangerous to human cells because it would break down the:
- Consider a cell is in a solution containing 1% NaCl, 5% glucose, and 94% water. The interior of the cell contains .5% NaCl, 0% glucose and 99.5% water. The cell membrane is impermeable to NaCl. What will have to occur in order for equilibrium to be established?
|Water will move out of the cell.|
|Water will move into the cell.|
|NaCl will move into the cell.|
|Water and glucose will move into the cell.|
|Water and NaCl will move into the cell.|
- What process occurs when a white blood cell “eats” a bacterium?
- Scientists perform an experiment in which they create an artificial cell with a selectively permeable membrane through which only water can pass. They inject a 7 M solution of glucose into the cell and then place the cell into a beaker of pure water. After an hour, what effect do you expect to observe?
|Water moves out of the cell|
|Glucose moves out of the cell|
|No net change in cell weight|
|Water moves into the cell|
|Glucose moves into the cell|
- The interlocking mechanism of a Zip-Lock bag that blocks substances from leaving the bag, would most closely resemble which of the following cell junctions?
- Match the following cell structure to the correct definition.
- You found an organism in your yard and you are trying to figure out what type of organism it is. First, you have to determine if it is a eukaryote or a prokaryote. What characteristics would you look for to classify your organism?Your response must be at least 75 words in length.
QUESTION 810 points
- Pretend you determined the organism in the previous question was a eukaryote. Explain how you would determine if the organism is a plant or animal?Your response must be at least 75 words in length. 10 points
- Before people started questioning what they saw, it was assumed that since frogs hop out of ponds, frogs must come from mud. We now know this is a myth. Use your knowledge of the cell theory to explain why this is a myth.Your response must be at least 75 words in length.